Toby will require:
- Any children to be in their teens
- No cats, pocket pets or other animals
- A home as an only dog, or he may be okay with a smaller female dog
- Daily walks, always on lead
- A reasonable size yard with an undercover area for shelter
- Fences and gates will need to be at least 6 foot high & secure
- Homes with arctic breed experience will be given priority
Please do not apply unless you meet all Toby's requirements
Toby may look like a small Husky, but he is actually an Alaskan Klee Kai! He is similar in size to a Beagle, weighing 19 kg and measuring 42 cm (17 inches) to the shoulder.
The Alaskan Klee Kai is a relatively new breed that was developed in the 1970s in Alaska, with the name “Klee Kai” stemming from an Inuit term meaning “small dog.” Unlike the sled dog heritage of the larger Siberian Husky, the Alaskan Klee Kai was bred specifically as a companion dog rather than as a working dog.
The Klee Kai breed still shares the intelligence, curiosity and prey drive of the Husky, so must always be walked on lead.
Toby is a calm, loyal and affectionate fellow who is happy to chill out and be close to his family, and he just loves his cuddles and pats. Although he has lived with another small dog, he may have a good bark when he is around dogs he is not familiar with.
Toby's owners are hoping he can go to a home that has more time in their lives to spend with him.
Toby is not available for interstate adoption and is not suitable for apartments, homes with very small yards or rural areas.